November 21, 2010

Where did the year go?

Seriously? It was Xmas like two weeks ago, right? This year has been a blur to say the least.

Starting to set my sites on 2011 and already have a few race, personal and professional goals in my head. I was debating an appearance on the indoor track this winter but, I am fairly certain I am not going to have the time in December to put in the miles and the way my knee has been feeling lately, I am not very confident my body will be able to take a significant increase in mileage very quickly. So, I'll have to see how it goes. The Corktown 5k in March is looking a little more realistic at the moment. It's not only a great during and post race experience but, I would like redeem myself after my not so impressive race there last year. I haven't even looked at signing up and probably missed my chance but, Barry Roubaix is also on the list. I didn't get much of a chance to race my CX bike this year or any bike for that matter. It'd be nice to start the year off racing the CX bike. It's by far my favorite bike in my stable at the moment.

I am still kicking around the idea of trying to take on a series. I was strongly considering the Fun Promotions Endurance Series last winter. Still seems like a good idea. I could pretty easily throw in the Yankee TT and I'd have a season planned.

I've also given some though to what I am not planning on racing next year. At the moment, the Lumberjack and Iceman are at the top of the list. Lumberjack is a great event and I had a great showing in 2010 pulling off a 10th place in the SS category. However, my main reason for racing the LJ this year was to prove to myself I could do it in style on an SS after feeling like it pushed me to a near death state in 2009 on a geared bike. All of the drama with the Iceman concerning registration debacles, size of the field, age categories, start startegies, TRAFFIC, TRAFFIC, TRAFFIC, beer police, parking, buses, MMBA forum whining, requests for donations to purchase property to continue to allow the race to line pockets, etc, etc has really put some serious doubt in my mind that I want return next year. To top off the arguement, I can race Mud Sweat and Beers on much of the same course, without any of this drama. I am also strongly debating not running Dances With Dirt this year. DWD is also a great, fun filled, well run event but, putting together a team for it has been proving to be far too difficult. The $90 per person entry fee seems to scare most away. The rest of my "runner" friends seem to get widdled out due to fear that an entire day of trail running will somehow interfere with their highly scientific triathlon training.

This, of course, may all change when I watch my first indoor track meet this winter or attend the MMBA annual meeting.

I received my Iceman age group award in the mail yesterday. Still shocked I pulled this off considering my total lack of preparation for the race.

1 comment:

  1. Hello.. just a snowy day in northern Michigan. Reading blogs.. stumbled upon your post and wanted to assure you that that land purchase in Iceman-course territory is NOT just for the race. It allows for some pretty sweet land to be opened up for multi-user groups... we will be marking some singletrack to connect with existing single as soon as this snow breaks. Northern chap will keep the MMBA informed of the changes... very exciting times to come for the area between Kalkaska and Tc. Hope your enjoying the early season riding... adios! Ali

    ReplyDelete