April 23, 2011

Excuses Are Simply A Lack Of Preparation

Well, if excuses are simply a lack of preparation, I've got a lot of preparation in front of me.

So, let's get these out of the way. Last weekend was the Yankee Springs TT. And let's say, my results were less than I would have hoped for.
Excuses:
#1 - Wore old contacts: Lost one late in lap one, the other early in lap 2. Rode most of Lap 2 with severely impaired vision.
#2 - Did not go over bike prior to riding it: Chain was not tensioned enough.  A mis-hap with a stick easily dismounted it early in Lap 2. I nearly called it quits after multiple attempts to get it back on and thinking I'd need to loosen and re-tighten the bottom bracket with my multi-tool to get it on.
#3 - Wrong gear ratio: I need to admit I am not the crank mashing beast I tell myself I am. 36/17 with 180m cranks is just too much for me to pedal. I am going back to 2:1. Even 2:1 with the 180m cranks may prove a little stout. Pretty sure this was a major contributor in my less than pleasant Iceman performance last year.
#5 - First Single Track of the Year: Athough, I seemed to hold my own, I was pretty rusty in the turns. Something, I am admittingly not that great at. Even when I'm in my grove.
#6 - (The obvious) Lack of conditioning: Not going to lie. I was gased the last 1/2 of the second lap. I was wishing gears towards the end. I've been trying to run a bit. With a little weight loss, I hope to be tearing it up soon.

In the end my performance was only good enough for 16th out of 21 that finished in Expert 30-39. A far cry from last year. I would have faired about the same in the Expert/Elite SS category. Which I would have signed up for if I had known they were riding 2 laps. Given I did ride a single speed.
Good Points:
#1 - The weather held out. I have to admit. I am pretty much the definition of a fair weather rider. I dressed right and the re-gained feeling in my fingers shortly into the first lap.
#2 - Great to see the team after the long Winter and non-existent Spring.
#3 - Great to finally get on the bike. I think once my conditioning gets a little better, it may actually be fun again.
#4 - When I was riding, I was constantly catching people throughout the race. Not that people didn't blow by me like I was riding with training wheels but, certainly a good feeling and evidence things should get better as I get some time in the saddle.
#5 - Taco Bell. Sure seems to tast the best after a hard race.

Elite/Expert Results

Looking forward to Mud, Sweat and Beers. I read there will be a mud pit at the finish this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment