April 03, 2010

Single Speed Take #1 = Failure

I brought the newly single speeded Monsterbecane up to TC this weekend. Headed out for a 50 miler from my parents house around 8am. The weather was fantastic for riding. Cool enough for arm warmers on the 36 mph descent into town from my parents but, warm enough for shorts. The ride out to Acme was as I expected. With a 2 to 1 gear ratio, I felt like my legs were spinning wildly to maintain 18mph. I backed off  as the climbs began and I neared my destination, the Vasa trail. I jumped in at Timber Ridge. About 13 miles from my parents. Home to the finish of the Iceman. This was not only was my first single speed ride but, my first ride of the year on my MTB and on my new Kenda small block eight tires. How I've missed the trails. After only a few sandy turns, I decided that I am fairly certain I made the right choice of tires this year. They seemed to hook up great and roll rather quickly. Even on the wood chips. The single speed setup was fun. However, I'd quickly run out of gear on the flats and downhills. I figured out that if I was above 23 mph, there was no use pedaling. I had to pedal like a maniac just to get the freewheel to catch. While they were a challenge, the hills didn't seem anywhere near as hard as I had expected. It was easy to see why some say riding single speed makes you a better rider. I quickly started daring myself to take turns on descents without braking in order maintain as much speed as possible for the upcoming hills and the up hills were a real workout. I am certain that I would have been faster on my geared bike though. Within no time, I had put in about 7 miles on the Vasa. I turned down a section that was marked as having significant climbs and descents at an intersection and as the sign promised, some serious climbing began. Then BOOM! Disaster struck. The sweet half link that I put in my chain to run my new tensioner in "push up" mode exploded. Along with one of the links it was connected to. I suspect that it wasn't the half link that caused the issue. When I put it on I feared the stock pin that I used on it was too short. Clearly I was right. When it let go, it not only took out the stock link but, bent up the half link too. I attempted to use my chain tool to bend it back and put in a quick link but, the quick link wouldn't fit. Even after attempting to reshape the half link to its original shape. In usual fashion, I tried to force it and put the half link out of its misery as it seemed to dissolve in my hands.


That was it. There was no way the Mosterbecane SS was going to be running under chain power again without some parts. I pulled out my phone, snapped a picture and called for my dad to pick me up at the start of the Vasa. Which I assumed was closer than Timber Ridge. I headed back running the flat/up hill sections of trail and riding the downhills. I reached a kiosk and attempted to determine the quickest route back to the parking lot. Luckily, there was plenty of  "Parking Lot -->" signs. I almost took a wrong turn at one point and had to turn back. Seems the start of the Vasa was about the same distance as Timber Ridge. I ended up running & coasting 6.5 miles to my ride home.

So 20 miles of riding and 6.5 miles of running/coasting for the day. To top it off, I am down to zero working bikes again. Even that being said, I am not giving up on the single speed thing just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment