April 20, 2010

Strep Throat and Delusions

After Sunday’s race, I was totally whipped out. I haven’t been that tired in years. Clearly it was for a reason. I had a little bit of a sore throat on Sunday am but, nothing I was concerned about. It seems to go right away after drinking something. Monday am was a different story. I awoke with a pounding head ache and a pretty serious sore throat. I picked up some Theraflu on the way to work and tried to tough it out. By noon, I realized I was in worse shape than I through and posing more a risk of spreading illness than any good I was doing at work. So, I headed home and worked and took calls from there the remainder of the day. Monday night was miserable. I don’t think I’ve ever felt that bad. I am sure I was delusional. I was staggering walking to and from the bathroom. At one point, I was debating going to the hospital, an urgent care or something. 103 fever, shaking from chills and sweating. I managed to get what sleep I could but, it wasn’t much. Today wasn’t much better. My fever seemed to better but, my throat and head were not. I did what I could to work from home in the am and about noon found spots on my throat. I new instantly what this meant. Strep. I used to get it every year. I’ve been lucky to go about 3 years. Clearly, my luck had run out. I am dosed up on antibiotics now and hoping I’ll be near 100% tomorrow. That’s how it has worked in the past so, I am hoping it’s the same this go around.

On a positive note, laying on the couch pretty much all night gave me plenty of time to think. Some of which was over the great single speed debate. After last weekend, I am pretty hooked on the whole SS thing. But, I am not happy with my current set up. While my tensioner made the 20+ miles at Yankee, it definitely was looser at the end than it was in the beginning. Which leads me to believe it’s no where near reliable enough to rock in on a regular basis or in the Lumberjack. My heart is pretty much set on the Specialized Stumpjumper SS.

Unfortunately, seems bikes are primarily only made in the middle of the cycling season and I am being told one will not be available is July. So, looks like the waiting game begins and I am going to have to try and get by with what I have. I’ll likely have to switch back to gears in late June for Lumberjack. Which I am not sure if I am happy or disappointed about. I kinda of wanted to take a shot at the LJ with only one gear. The good news is, is I have a new cassette sitting at my house so, all I’ll need to go geared again is a chain.

I just realized that my counter slipped below 60 for the LJ. Time to get serious about trainging. Not a good time to have Strep Throat.

No comments:

Post a Comment