April 10, 2010

Single Speed - Take #2

Stopped by the Jimmers last night and he correct the spoke tensioning on my rear wheel. He also hooked me up with a burly 7 speed change. In which a 3/32 half link fit perfectly. Got my chain just how I wanted it and I was ready to the next morning.

After a 1 1/2 hour fight with my "new" Garmin. I was able to turn it on. Yes, I charged it & tried the on button. Even the reset. Seems the 205/305 become locked at certain times when they don't feel they have a charge. After about 45 minutes of desperation, 6 inch reboot attempts, google searches, I spent 20 minutes combing the Garmin site. Apparently, there are multiple ways to reset the dang thing. Finally, success! I spent other 30 minutes or so setting it up and generally playing with it.

Fresh from the battle with the Garmin, it was time for a team ride out to Maybury and back. The planned meeting place (Nankin Mills) had been taken over by a Martian Marathon relay exchange point. Not to mention a large section than usual of Hines was blocked off for the race. After a cluster of confusion, phone calls and etc. Jim, Melissa, Tom, Lee, Bryan and I were on our way. Amazingly only 15 minute after the proposed start time of 9:30am. Right on time for our group. Our first few miles on Hines Dr. were actually through the race. Which was pretty interesting. Escpecially, when we were rather inpolitely informed by the folks maning the water stop that there was a marathon going on. Apparently, our 15 mph speed and spandex was seen as threatening.

The rest of the way out was pretty relaxed. As before, I was spinning like a mo-fo to maintain anything above 16 mph. I was suprised a how easy the climb as Cass Benton felt.

We met up with Brandon from the team at Maybury and started our first lap. We took it easy and for the most part, rode as a group. The single speed felt fantastic. I did feel a little under geared. Even on the two rather steep climbs. After we regrouped, I checked my chain tension and there was way more than I wanted there. I over tenstioned it with the hope it'd only give a little and end up perfect on the next lap.

After we regrouped, I decided I wanted to pour it on a little more on the second lap and headed out first. The trail was in great shape and the new small block eights handled amazingly. I felt pretty good on through the twisting turns but, quickly was eating my words on being under geared. The hills on the second lap were much harder. Even after a stop in between the two for an attempt to save one of my contact lenses that fell out didn't give me much help. Jim caught up and waited for me at that point. My attempt turned out to be a waste of time because my contact fell out again and stuck to my glasses. Jim and I rode the rest of the way in together. Definitely an interesting riding experience at Maybury when riding 1/2 blind. I think we ended up turning a pretty decent lap time.

We regrouped after the second lap. It was looking like my chain was going to last the ride this time. Unfortunately, Lee's chain did not fair as well. He broke his master link in his chain on the second. Luckly Melissa had one. With that crisis averted we headed for home. Me trailing behind and catching up a lights due to only being able maintain about 16mph.

In the end, it was a great ride. Decent sized group, great weather and trail conditions. With the added bonus of my bike actually making the  whole trip. I felt pretty wiped out on the ride home and really need a nap. I think we ended up getting in about 40 miles. If I don't fall asleep, I'll work on uploading my Garmin tonight. Should be an interesting experience.

I checked the chain tension when I got home on my bike. Still a little over tensioned. Looking positive this SS testing may work out with my current set up after all. Other than the road riding, I really like it so far. Enough, I am thinking pretty seriously about a single speed frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment