May 15, 2010

Beat the Train Epic - 5/15

Another great BTT this morning. Woke up at the butt crack of the morning and got rolling about 5am for a BTT Epic from my house. Rode into Detroit to Fort Wayne with teammates Andy Straub, Jim Senska and Andy E. Met up with Dearborn Don on the way too. The way in was awefully chilly. I was sporting tights and my new Kenda arm warmers and pretty cold in the sub 50 temps. Somehow Jim powered in with nothing more than shorts and a TShirt.
The ride was great. 31 riders in total. Temps ended up being perfert and in the 60's. Plus, the sun was shining with barely a cloud in the sky. Andy changed it up this week and we hit some new landmarks. At least new to me. Such as the pump track, a flame throwing car, the Motown Muesem and the new foot bridge. We even spotted a peacock and a rooster.  All of which was of course mixed in with favorites such as Bell Isle, the cemetary and the river walk  in front of the Ren Cen. Best of all only one flat in the group for the day.

Today was the first ride on the new Kenda Kwick Roller Sports on my CX bike. They do a great job of absorbing bumps and pot holes with their beefy 700x32 size. I even tested their Iron Cap flat prevention when I involuntarily ran over glass multiple times. The big draw back is they simply a beast to turn over. They feel like they weigh double what my Kenda Small blocks do on my mountain bike. We picked it up on Belle Isle and I was really struggling maintaining 21mph. Which may partially be due to running the past two days. My legs did feel pretty beat today. Regardless, I doubt I'll be running them on any fast group rides.

After the ride, Jim S. and I rode back together. Neither of us could stay for breakfast. Wish I was able to stay but, I had a funeral service to attend.

Basically 68, not necessarily hard but, fun filled miles for the day.
Garmin Data

From BTT - 5/15

1 comment:

  1. Adam, you are being generous with Belle Isle... I struggled to maintain 20 mph on the east side of the island, while you and the Wheels in Motion fella kept pulling away. Would say you were struggling to stay at 24 mph... Great ride, fine to ride in with you and the gang.

    ReplyDelete