May 30, 2010

I came, I saw and It kicked my a**

Yesterday was the annual XC race at Bloomer. I've spent the last two weeks either sick or preparing to sell our house so, I decided to give Bloomer a whirl. Not to mention, I need to do some catch up on Lumberjack training. I hadn't heard much about the course other than it was somewhere you should pre-ride. Good thing I hadn't heard too much or I would have likely bailed out.

Lap One:
After somewhat of a team warm up, Ray, Tom, Scott, Byran and I lined up in at the start of the expert race in the 30-39 wave. On the warm up, Tom had warned my that I was likely going to be hating life rockin' just one gear at Bloomer. In usual fashion, I shrugged it off and figured I'd show this place who was boss. After all, it'd never seen the likes of before. At the whistle, the race was on and we rolled out. I was happy to be able to hang with the geared riders with ease. Out climbing many at the ski hill to boot and throwing in some impressive moves for my skill level. I made my way through a few more rides and closed the gap considerably on Tom from the team and Gus who I met at the BTT ride. That was until we hit the switchback. That's where the Bloomer's harsh reality rocked my world. A relentless series of short downhills then up hills. Zapping every ounce of energy from my legs. Once clear of the switchbacks, I was sure the worst must have been over. Then I arrived at the scariest section of trail that I've ever been on in my life. I am not sure what's it's called or how to describe it but, it's pretty much what you'd expect riding in the Rocky Mountains. Switchbacks with the punishment of a 20 ft drop if you happen to make any errors. The rest of lap one wasn't so bad. I bailed out and ran the "stairs." It was very flat and the 2:1 gearing that zapped the strength from my legs simply wasn't enough on the flat and I lost a few positions.

Lap Two:
My surge to catch Tom and the switchbacks really took their toll on me. I was really suffering mentally on lap two. My lines were crap, I was all over the trail, making multiple point and made near full stop turns a points. That's when I started to hear it. The familiar buzzing of Scott's rear hub. Of course, right as we enter the relentless switchbacks. My lines were terrible, I was breaking down mentally but, tried hard not to be caught. Scott yelled out at one point. It was a real motivator and somehow I held him off from passing me in the single tracks. Only long enough for him to get around me at just before the crazy, mountain like switchback decent. I did what I could to stay with him but, I was just not on my game and Scott rolled away from with ease. A little farther out of the trail, I believe near the "stairs" I caught back up with Scott. He was sidelined for a moment with some chain suck and he jumped on my wheel as I passed. If I remember correctly, passed another rider just before or after the "stairs" but, took the worlds worst line and ended up in the woods. Resulting in being passed by the overtaken rider and shortly after again by Scott after I took yet only terrible line and ran off into the worlds being stopped by a branch in my spokes.

Lap Three:
Determined not to quit, I somehow caught up to Scott on the flats and actually passed him at the beginning of lap 3 as he slowed for a bottle swap. I Bryan as I headed out down the lightening fast start and gave him the fist pump. Scott caught back up to me as I spun wildly on the flats. We climbed the sled hill together and I waved him by me as we hit the first section of nutty single track. I was determined to pull it together and have a good race and was doing a pretty good job of hanging with Scott in the technical stuff. I had high hopes for this lap. I felt better or at least I had convinced myself and I felt that I'd recovered from my sprint to catch Tom on lap one. As Scott and I climbed the first real climb after the sled hill I was determined I was going to own this lap. No quitting, no slowing down, I'd hammer every hill and take every corner as fast as I could. I hammered up the climb hoping to close some of the gap Scott had put on me on the last decent. As I neared the top, my legs unwilling slowed and I struggled to maintain momentum. Just as I was about to crest the top of the hill, my legs came to a complete stop and my left leg completely locked up. I toppled right over on my left side. Thud! My left calve completely cramped up and I spent the next few minutes trying to stretch it out enough to ride again. This time around the switchbacks were unbelievably hard. Not to mention, I was making all sorts of bad decisions and taking bad lines. I wrecked at least one of the sandy turns. Ryan from KLM caught me just as we entered the mountain like descent. I was shocked when he called out to me. I asked him if he'd lapped me. Turns out he snapped his chain at the start of the race. As I did on lap one and two, I got passed in the flats. This time I was somehow able to take a position back. Most likely due to the climbing.

Lap Four:
Lap 4 was simply survival mode. I ran the sled hill and the stairs. I simply rode as hard as I could so, I could finish. As I neared the end of race and entered the last bit of single track, Lee from the team was taking picture and called out to me to chase after someone. I put my head down and tried to hammer, then almost immediately hooked my bar on a tree and went right over my handlebars managing not to split my skull on a log as I planted my hand on it to avoid hitting it face first. I crossed the finish line just happy to be done. At some point in the race. I am pretty sure lap two, it'd gotten very hot. The course had taken it's toll on me. I was spent. In the end, Tom pulled off a 3rd. Scott, myself and Bryan pulled off a 8th, 9th & 10th.

I made it back just in time to take my son Evan on a pre-ride lap of the kid's race course. Shortly after, my wife, daughter and I spread out along the course to cheer him and Miles, Jason's son on.

I spent the rest of the afternoon watching the sport and beginner races. We had a great showing John, Joe, Roger, Jason and Lee from the team showed up and raced. Andy had made it out and had handed me a water bottle on lap 4 and raced as well. Jim rode up to the race from the BTT ride to cheer us on and had logged 77 miles for the day at that point.

In the end it was a great day. Even considering I admitted defeat to the superior adversary "Bloomer." We had a large group show up, my family had a blast and the mood and venue was great. I expect to be back for some serious punishment next year.

Pictures my wife took:
From Bloomer XC

No comments:

Post a Comment