March 05, 2011

Viruses and Malware suck

Only thing worse than having a virus yourself is when your computer has one. My laziness to create a back up for my wife's new computer finally bit me in the a** today. She picked up her laptop and was greeted by a gift. A new app called Sytem Tool. Looks kinda legit at first site. This thing sucks. Not only does it make your computer runs like a snail, it throws endless annoying prompts and messages, can't be closed and even won't let you see the task manager to kill it manually. The worst part is, it holds your PC ransom demanding you subscribe, ie. pay money, to change it's settings to deactivate it or at least get it to not run on start up. Apparently, this is a sneaky devil and evades nearly all antivirus software and uses tricky trojans/copied legitimate prompts to update windows, java or etc.

Some what legit looking app.


Sweet message on the desktop.


After some googling, a safe mode boot, registry key and file deletion, things seem to be in ok shape. Fingers crossed it's handled. I am in process of creating a system back up and boot disk now.

We need a new amendment to be able to hunt people who create stuff like this down and kill them. No trials, no appeals, just shot on the spot. Yes. I mean that. I can't even image what it must be like for someone less computer literate than I am to deal with this stuff. Guess it's what keeps the Best Buy Geek Squad in business.

And why F do computer manufacturers not just give you a DVD with a factory image for you computer? Burning one yourself takes forever. I would have gladly paid the extra 35 cents it cost them to include it opposed to wasting hours doing it myself. Jerk offs.

No comments:

Post a Comment